Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

UN says Griffiths quitting, 'health reasons' cited

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 25 Mar 2024 21:36
3 Min Read

The UN spokesperson explains that Griffiths will continue in his role until the end of June to allow a "smooth transition" to a replacement who has yet to be named.

  • x
  • UN says Griffiths quitting for health reasons
    Martin Griffiths, the UN's under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator, in Damascus on June 26, 2023. (AFP)

UN humanitarian chief Martin Griffiths, who has played a significant role in pushing for relief to Gaza and previously supervised operations in Yemen, is stepping down due to illness, the global organization announced Monday.

Griffiths, the under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency assistance coordinator, "has informed the secretary-general of his intention to step down for health reasons," according to UN Spokesperson Farhan Haq.

Haq added that Griffiths will continue in his role until the end of June to allow a "smooth transition" to a replacement who has yet to be named.

Griffiths, a British attorney, has repeatedly urged "Israel" to let humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip while it wages a brutal war on Palestinians, killing over 32,000 Palestinians and injuring over 74,694 more. 

Last month, he advised the occupation against an assault on Rafah, where over 1.5 million Palestinians have sought refuge, saying that such an operation "could lead to a slaughter."

Life is draining out of Gaza at terrifying speed. pic.twitter.com/5Wd4w8aurX

— Martin Griffiths (@UNReliefChief) February 29, 2024

Griffiths formerly served as the UN Special Envoy for Yemen and as a Syria advisor. He has also worked for international humanitarian groups, including UNICEF, Save the Children, and ActionAid.

URNWA chief outraged by Israeli ban of food convoys to North Gaza

UNRWA head Philippe Lazzarini on Sunday published a tweet expressing outrage over "Israel's" recent decision to block the entry of food convoys to northern Gaza.

"This is outrageous and makes it intentional to obstruct lifesaving assistance during a man-made famine. These restrictions must be lifted," Lazzarini said on social media platform X.

📍# Gaza: as of today, @UNRWA, the main lifeline for #Palestine Refugees, is denied from providing lifesaving assistance to northern Gaza.

Despite the tragedy unfolding under our watch, the Israeli Authorities informed the UN that they will no longer approve any @UNRWA food… pic.twitter.com/lfp9xRQuh1

— Philippe Lazzarini (@UNLazzarini) March 24, 2024

Starvation is one of the many strategies used by the Israeli regime to lead its genocidal campaign on the Gaza Strip. Recent reports have shown that several people have died so far due to starvation. 

This is compounded by several massacres that have taken place at the Kuwaiti Roundabout as people gathered to collect food supplies from aid trucks.

Due to several pictures circulating across social media showing bags of flour drenched in blood, these massacres acquired the label of "flour massacres".

The latest massacre occurred just a day ago and claimed the lives of 19 people while injuring 23 others.

During a visit to the Rafah crossing yesterday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, "I see a long line of aid trucks blocked by Israel, a long line of hunger & starvation."

  • Martin Griffiths
  • United Nations
  • United Nations Security Council
  • UNRWA
  • UNICEF
  • Yemen
  • Gaza
  • Israel
  • war on Gaza
  • Humanitarian aid

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS