Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

US freezes funds allocated to Palestinian security forces

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: The Washington Post
  • 19 Feb 2025 17:48
2 Min Read

Brig. Gen. Anwar Rajab, a spokesperson for the Palestinian security forces, told The Washington Post that the US was a "big donor to the PA projects" that included security and training for the troops.

Listen
  • x
  • US freezes funds allocated to Palestinian security forces
    Palestinian security forces after clashes with Palestinians following an arrest raid in the West Bank city of Nablus, on September 20, 2022. (AP)

The Trump administration has cut off all financing for Palestinian Authority security forces as part of the global freeze on foreign aid, US and Palestinian sources revealed.

Last month, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio ordered a near-total halt to US foreign aid, with explicit exceptions for military funding to "Israel" and Egypt.

Washington ended direct help to the authority during Trump's first term, but it continued to finance security force training and reform. 

Exercises and courses are conducted through the occupied al-Quds-based Office of the Security Coordinator, formerly known as the United States Security Coordinator (USSC) for "Israel" and the Palestinian Authority, which is comprised of a group of nations.

Brig. Gen. Anwar Rajab, a spokesperson for the Palestinian security forces, told The Washington Post that the US was a "big donor to the PA projects" that included security and training for the troops.

According to an anonymous former Israeli official, the USSC was "not affected in any meaningful way" by the freeze, and "other donors have committed to make up the shortfall."

However, the freeze has already resulted in some training cuts, according to a colonel in charge of training at the PA's Central Training Institute for Security Forces, who anonymously spoke with The Post on Tuesday.

On his first day in office, Trump issued a 90-day freeze on foreign development assistance to evaluate its alignment with his foreign policy and efficiency goals. However, the full scope of the order remains unclear, and questions persist about its legality, as Congress controls the federal budget.

“Freezing these international investments will lead our international partners to seek other funding partners—likely US competitors and adversaries—to fill this hole and displace the United States’ influence the longer this unlawful impoundment continues,” a source familiar with Congressional discussions, speaking anonymously, said as quoted by The Guardian.

The State Department memo instructed senior officials to ensure that “to the maximum extent permitted by law, no new obligations shall be made for foreign assistance” until Rubio completes a review. It also called for immediate stop-work orders on existing projects until further evaluation.

  • Palestine
  • Israel
  • Israeli occupation
  • Palestinian authority
  • Donald Trump

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS