US-Russia talks on Ukraine 'useful', to continue: Russian negotiator
Russian negotiator Grigory Karasin says the dialogue was "intense" but very useful for Russia and the United States.
-
Chairman of the Federation Council Committee on International Affairs Grigory Karasin (TASS)
Russia would continue its "useful" discussions with the United States regarding the Ukraine conflict, with plans to involve the United Nations and other nations in future talks, a Russian negotiator stated on Tuesday.
"We talked about everything, it was an intense dialogue, not easy, but very useful for us and the Americans," Grigory Karasin, told the state TASS news agency, noting that "lots of problems were discussed."
"Of course we are far from solving everything, from being in agreement on all points, but it seems that this type of discussion is very timely," he pointed out.
"We will continue doing it, adding in the international community, above all the United Nations and certain countries," Karasin said.
He added, "In general, the impression was of a constructive dialogue, which is needed and necessary. The Americans are also interested in this."
His remarks followed 12 hours of negotiations between US and Russian delegations in Saudi Arabia.
Karasin and Sergey Beseda, advisor to the director of the Federal Security Service (FSB), represented Russia in the negotiations. The US delegation was led by Michael Anton, Director of the Policy Planning Staff at the State Department, and Andrew Peek, Senior Director at the White House National Security Council. Also part of the US team were aides to Donald Trump’s special envoy for Ukraine, Keith Kellogg, and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz.
Reviving the Black Sea grain initiative
Before the talks, Kremlin Aide Yury Ushakov stated that the discussions would focus on reviving the Black Sea grain initiative, following a recent phone conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump.
"The issue of the Black Sea Initiative and all aspects related to the renewal of this initiative is on the agenda," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov had said.
"This was President Trump's proposal and President Putin agreed to it. It was with this mandate that our delegation travelled to Riyadh."
Ukraine's Defense Minister Rustem Umerov, who heads the Ukrainian team, said Sunday's talks with the United States were "productive and focused."
Trump envoy Steve Witkoff has voiced optimism that any agreement would pave the way for a "full-on" ceasefire.
"I think you're going to see in Saudi Arabia on Monday some real progress, particularly as it affects a Black Sea ceasefire on ships between both countries," he told Fox News.
"And from that you'll naturally gravitate to a full-on shooting ceasefire."
The Kremlin has downplayed expectations of a rapid resolution.
"We are only at the beginning of this path," Peskov told Russian state TV on Sunday, adding, "There are difficult negotiations ahead."
When Putin, in a lengthy phone call with Trump, rebuffed the joint US-Ukrainian call for a full and immediate 30-day pause, he proposed instead a halt in attacks on energy facilities.
The traditional adversaries are now discussing the return of the Black Sea Initiative, which was originally brokered by Turkiye and the United Nations in 2022.
Russia pulled out of the agreement in 2023, accusing the West of failing to uphold its commitments to ease sanctions on Russia's own exports of farm produce and fertilizers.
A senior Ukrainian official previously told AFP that Kiev would propose a broader ceasefire, covering attacks on energy facilities, infrastructure, and naval strikes.
Trump is advocating for a swift resolution to the three-year conflict and hopes the latest round of talks in Riyadh will lay the groundwork for a breakthrough.
Earlier, TASS cited a source indicating that a joint statement on the talks was expected to be released on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the Ukrainian negotiating team extended its stay in Riyadh for an additional day to meet with US representatives, according to a source within the delegation who spoke to Suspilne news. Another source also informed AFP that a second meeting was likely, suggesting potential progress in the discussions.
Read more: Russia-Ukraine land-dividing contract being negotiated: Trump