Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

US soldier charged with rape, kidnap of 16-year-old Japanese girl

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 28 Jun 2024 12:34
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki calls the allegations "extremely regrettable", emphasizing the need to strongly protest against the US military and other related organizations.

Listen
  • x
  • Construction work off Henoko in Nago, Okinawa prefecture, South Japan, May 2, 2023. (Kyodo News via AP)
    Construction work off Henoko in Nago, Okinawa prefecture, South Japan, May 2, 2023 (Kyodo News via AP)

A US Air Force soldier was indicted with the alleged rape and kidnapping of a 16-year-old Japanese schoolgirl in December last year, confirmed the Okinawa police to CNN on Wednesday.

25-year-old Brennon R.E. Washington was charged with “non-consensual sexual intercourse” and “indecent kidnapping” on March 27, according to a court spokesperson in Naha. The perpetrator was then turned over to the Japanese authorities by the US military.

Washington was released on bail and is being held in custody at the Kadena US Air Base in Okinawa. He is awaiting trial, which has been scheduled for July 12 at the Naha District Court.

Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki stated that Washington's crimes "brought a significant level of distrust" to relations and described the allegations as "not just disturbing to prefectural residents but also a violation of the girl's dignity," according to The Mainichi Shimbun.

He also told reporters on Tuesday that the allegations of rape and kidnap were “extremely regrettable", adding it was necessary “to strongly protest against the US military and other related organizations.”

The governor also said his office will “take a tough stance in dealing with the situation.”

The US and Japanese troops, alongside the South Korean military, are currently on a three-day joint military drill codenamed the "Freedom Edge" as part of the three countries' multi-year framework of trilateral defense cooperation.

Japan's opposition to the US military base

In September 2023, Governor Tamaki appealed for international support at a United Nations session to express his opposition to the relocation of a US military base within his region.

However, a Japanese government representative in Geneva promptly raised doubts about Governor Tamaki's position, underscoring the ongoing disagreement over this project, which originates from a 1990s agreement between Tokyo and Washington.

Tamaki addressed the Human Rights Council of the United Nations, stating that the clustering of military installations in the area poses a threat to peace.

"I am here today to ask the world to witness the situation in Okinawa," he said.

Similar to Washington's crimes against the Japanese schoolgirl, three US soldiers also raped a woman on the island in 1995. Additionally, a 20-year-old woman was raped and murdered by a former US base worker, sparking a mass demonstration on the island's capital, urging the US military to relocate their military base outside Okinawa.

  • US
  • Rape
  • kidnapping
  • Japan
  • Air Force
  • US Air Force

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS