Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

US urges China to 'open lines of communication' after jet incident

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 31 May 2023 19:18
3 Min Read

US State Secretary says the air incident confirms that lines of communication between both countries must remain open.

  • x
  • US urges China to open communication lines, Beijing slams provocations
    A Chinese Navy J-11 fighter jet is recorded flying close to a US Air Force RC-135 aircraft over the South China Sea in a still image from video taken December 21, 2022 (Reuters)

The United States urged Beijing to agree to "open lines of communications" after a Chinese fighter jet intercepted a US aircraft in the South China Sea on May 26.

The US military said a Chinese jet conducted an "aggressive maneuver" near a US spy aircraft, while Beijing stated that the "provocation" carried out by the United States is to blame.

“The United States’ long-term and frequent sending of ships and planes to conduct close surveillance on China seriously harm China’s national sovereignty and security,” China's Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning said on Wednesday.

“This kind of provocative, dangerous activity is the cause of the security issues on the seas. China will continue to take all necessary steps to resolutely protect its own sovereignty and security,” Mao added.

China declined earlier this week a US request for a meeting between their defense chiefs at an annual security gathering in Singapore this weekend. This came after China said last week it was concerned about US sanctions that the country had imposed on its Defense Minister Li Shangfu years ago over his alleged role in a Chinese arms purchase from Russia.

Moa said that “the US side should … immediately correct its wrong practices, show sincerity, and create the necessary atmosphere and conditions for dialogue and communication between the two militaries.”

Blinken claimed that the US planes were "flying in international airspace on a routine mission."

"There have been a series of these actions directed not just at us but at other countries in recent months," Blinken told reporters on a visit to Sweden.

"I think it only underscores why it is so important that we have regular, open lines of communication including, by the way, between our defence ministers," he said.

"The most dangerous thing is not to communicate and, as a result, to have a misunderstanding and miscommunication," Blinken added.

"And as we said repeatedly, while we have a real competition with China, we also want to make sure that doesn't veer into conflict and the most important starting point for that are regular lines of communication."

Last week, White House Spokesperson John Kirby said the Defense Department was discussing starting talks between Lloyd Austin and his Chinese counterpart Li Shangfu who was appointed defense minister in March.

Austin and Li will be in Singapore for the annual Shangri-la Dialogue, which begins on Friday. The Shangri-la Dialogue is an informal gathering of defense officials and experts, and it also hosts a number of side sessions.

In the meantime, Liu Pengyu, the Chinese embassy spokesperson in Washington, accused the US of "seeking to suppress China through all possible means" and putting sanctions on several entities and people.

It is worth noting that Washington recently sought to restore talks with top officials in China after relations soured in recent months, especially in light of the Chinese alleged spy balloon incident and Washington's increased militarization of countries surrounding China.

Tensions mounted again last month between the two countries after Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen met made a provocative visit to the US and met with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, prompting China to condemn the talks and stage three days of military drills around Taiwan.

  • United States
  • Mao Ning
  • South China Sea
  • US
  • China
  • Antony Blinken
  • South Korea

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS