W. House says Signal case 'closed' amid calls for probe
The Trump administration is taking steps to prevent future Signal chat leaks, as bipartisan calls grow for an independent investigation.
-
White House National Security Advisor Mike Waltz, right, speaks with Fox News host and President Donald Trump's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, left, at the White House in Washington, on March 19, 2025. (AP)
The Trump administration has implemented measures to avoid a repeat of the Signal group chat incident that unintentionally included The Atlantic's editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Monday.
There is growing bipartisan support for an investigation into the Signal incident, with Democrats from the House Intelligence Committee also pushing for an independent probe, urging Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard in a letter sent on Monday.
HPSCI Democrats are calling on the intelligence community, led by DNI Tulsi Gabbard, to conduct an independent investigation into the Signal chat in which participants discussed plans for an impending US military attack in Yemen. pic.twitter.com/RiXzESIX93
— House Intelligence Committee (@HouseIntelDems) March 31, 2025
On Monday, the White House announced that it considers the recent controversy involving leaked military discussions on the Signal messaging app resolved, reaffirming National Security Advisor Michael Waltz's position despite backlash over the incident.
Last week, Goldberg revealed that on March 11, he was invited by Waltz to a Signal group chat titled "Houthi PC small group."
Inside the private conversation, senior officials, including Vice President JD Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, were reportedly discussing imminent US military action against Yemen.
According to screenshots published by Goldberg, Hegseth disclosed both the types of fighter jets involved and specific strike targets several hours before the operations took place.
Amid speculation about whether Waltz would be removed from his post over the matter, Leavitt told reporters, "As the president has made it very clear, Mike Waltz continues to be an important part of his national security team, and this case has been closed here at the White House, as far as we are concerned. There have been steps made to ensure that something like that can obviously never happen again, and we're moving forward."