Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Meta allows Trump back with presidential elections looming

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Al Mayadeen English
  • 13 Jul 2024 08:26
3 Min Read

The tech giant said that "American people should be able to hear from the nominees for president on the same basis."

Listen
  • x
  • Meta allows Trump back with presidential elections looming
    President Donald Trump arrives to speak at a USA Thank You Tour 2016 at the Giant Center on December 15, 2016 in Hershey, Pennsylvania. (AFP)

Meta has removed previous restrictions on the Facebook and Instagram accounts of Donald Trump as the 2024 election nears, the company announced on Friday.

The decision comes a few months ahead of the heated US 2024 elections.

Read more: World gears up for potential Trump victory: Politico

Trump had been allowed to return to these social networks in 2023, but with certain "guardrails" in place. These restrictions were initially imposed due to his online conduct during the January 6 Capitol Hill riots, which led to his ban. Now, Meta has lifted these guardrails, fully restoring his accounts.

"In assessing our responsibility to allow political expression, we believe that the American people should be able to hear from the nominees for president on the same basis," the tech giant said, citing the Republican National Convention RNC. The convention, scheduled for next week, will formalize Trump as the party’s candidate.

"All US presidential candidates remain subject to the same community standards as all Facebook and Instagram users, including those policies designed to prevent hate speech and incitement to violence," it added, saying that the previous measures took place in response to "extreme and extraordinary circumstances."

Read more: NATO summit to be anxiety-ridden as Trump win looms, WashPo says

Biden condemns Meta's decision

President Joe Biden's campaign condemned the decision on Friday, stating it is a "greedy, reckless decision" that is considered "a direct attack on our safety and our democracy."

"Restoring his access is like handing your car keys to someone you know will drive your car into a crowd and off a cliff," said campaign spokesperson Charles Kretchmer Lutvak. "It is holding a megaphone for a bonafide racist who will shout his hate and white supremacy from the rooftops and try to take it mainstream."

Following the Capitol riot, several major social media companies banned Trump due to his online activity. These companies also included Twitter (now X), Snapchat, and YouTube. The bans were implemented to prevent further incitement of violence and the spread of misinformation.

The former president was allowed back on X after Elon Musk bought the platform, but is still banned from Snapchat.

Read more: Trump calls Joe Biden 'broken down', claims Biden quit the race

  • US elections 2024
  • Meta
  • Joe Biden
  • Donald Trump

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS