Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Pentagon, SpaceX in talks after Musk said insufficient Starlink funds

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 14 Oct 2022 22:32
3 Min Read

The Pentagon is presently examining alternatives to keep Starlink satellite communication services operational for the Ukrainian armed forces.

  • x
  • Pentagon, SpaceX in contact after Elon Musk said can't fund Sta
    SpaceX's envisioned Starlink satellites

Pentagon Deputy Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said on Friday that the US Defense Department began talks with SpaceX after the company founder, Elon Musk, said the company no longer has sufficient funds to continue to service Starlink satellites in Ukraine.

“I can confirm that the department has been in communication with SpaceX regarding Starlink [in Ukraine],” Singh said during a press briefing.

Singh further added that the Pentagon is presently examining alternatives to keep Starlink satellite communication services operational for the Ukrainian armed forces.

Earlier today, a US defense official announced that the US is working with its allies to assist Ukraine with its communications needs.

Last month, US sources reported that the company informed via letter to the Pentagon it could no longer donate its Starlink services to Ukraine and requested that the government take lead over the funding.

In the letter, SpaceX highlighted its financial issues and urged the government to begin funding Starlink services for Ukraine, stating it will cost more than $120 million for the remainder of 2022 and $400 million over the next year.

It was confirmed today by corporate documents obtained by CNN that SpaceX has requested the US military to take over funding for its Starlink satellite internet service in Ukraine.

Since the beginning of the crisis in late February, SpaceX has provided around 20,000 Starlink satellite units to Ukraine, providing internet connectivity and military cooperation in chaotic battlegrounds that would otherwise be cut off from the internet. Ukrainian officials have praised the system as "an essential part of critical infrastructure."

Despite this, Kiev has pressed the firm to supply thousands more Starlink terminals. Another letter acquired by CNN revealed that a top Ukrainian general, Valery Zaluzhny, specifically requested 8,000 devices in July.

An external SpaceX consultant wrote that the firm “faces terribly difficult decisions here,” adding, “I do not think they have the financial ability to provide any additional terminals or service as requested by General Zaluzhny.”

SpaceX did not restrict Russian media outlets from purchasing Starlink, but Beijing has asked Elon Musk not to sell it in China

Musk told a journalist that Starlink's rollout in Ukraine triggered scrutiny in China in a recent interview with the Financial Times. 

Though the launch of the satellite is intended to fortify Ukraine's internet network against Putin’s forces, Beijing thinks it could pose a strategic threat due to its links with the US and asked Musk not to sell Starlink in China.

Therefore, SpaceX's ties with the Pentagon confirm China's concerns. 

Musk recently launched a perfume line to finalize his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter before the end of the month.

Read more: Beijing tells Elon Musk to stay out of China's domestic affairs

  • Ukraine crisis
  • Starlink satellite
  • Pentagon
  • Elon Musk
  • Ukraine
  • Starlink

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS