As hunger strikes, Khartoum is in dire need of help, donations
A local musician in Omdurman died from hunger last week, incapable of leaving his home due to clashes.
The local "resistance Committee", a pro-democracy neighborhood group in Sudan, has launched an appeal for financial help to support those suffering from food scarcity.
A Sudanese citizen summed up the situation using a few words. "We only have enough for two more days," Abbas Mohammed Babiker stated, explaining that he and his family only eat once a day.
In Omdurman, a local musician, Khaled Senhouri, died from hunger last week, according to a Facebook post by his friends.
The musician had previously posted that he was incapable of leaving his dwelling due to the clashes and that the supplies he had were not enough to sustain him.
According to the latest United Nations statistics, the conflict in Sudan has so far displaced about three million people, including about 700,000 who have crossed the border into neighboring countries.
Since April 15, violent and large-scale clashes have been taking place between the Sudanese army forces and the Rapid Support Forces in separate areas of Sudanese territory, most of which are concentrated in the capital, Khartoum, leaving thousands dead and wounded among civilians.
Thousands of people in Khartoum North are without water after the local water station was damaged at the start of the conflict. Residents report that there is only sporadic power and that food supplies are running low.
The UN refugee agency, UNHCR, has stated that the war will result in an outflow of 860,000 people.
The UN has also warned that the violence might push an additional 2.5 million people into food insecurity within months, implying that 19 million people will require humanitarian assistance to avoid famine.
According to UNICEF, "The situation in Sudan has become fatal for a frighteningly large number of children."
Another resident Essam Abbas stated that "with the fighting, there is no market anymore and anyway we have no money."
The "resistance committee" posted that "we have to support each other, give food and money and distribute to those around us."
The Sudanese Armed Forces General Command accused on Saturday the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) of exploiting children under the age of 15 in combat, in violation of international law.
In a statement, the spokesperson for the Sudanese Armed Forces said the army continues to strike the RSF in all locations across the country, pointing out that the Rapid Support Forces used criminals and prison escapees as fighters to carry out criminal operations.
In a related context, a local lawyers' union said at least 16 civilians have been killed by rocket fire that hit their houses in war-torn Sudan's western Darfur region.
Representatives of the Sudanese army have returned to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to resume negotiations with the RSF. The talks, mediated by Saudi and US officials, were adjourned last month due to repeated ceasefire violations.
The army delegation's return to Saudi Arabia indicates a renewed focus on diplomatic efforts after boycotting talks in Addis Ababa.