Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Attacks on bases in Syria forces US to extend carrier deployment

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 31 Mar 2023 22:16
4 Min Read

One US official says the George H.W. Bush carrier strike group was expected to remain in the European Command area of responsibility.

  • x
  • Attacks on bases in Syria forces US to extend carrier deployment
    The USS George H.W. Bush aircraft carrier is seen anchored off Stokes Bay in the Solent, Britain, July 27, 2017 (Reuters)

The United States has decided to extend the deployment of the George H.W. Bush carrier strike group to provide options to policymakers after last week's attacks on its military bases in Syria, Reuters reported on Friday, citing US military officials.

The officials were speaking in reference to drone attacks that were carried out over the span of two consecutive days on March 23-24, where several drones had targeted occupation bases in Syria's occupied Al-Hasakah province, as per the Pentagon, who accused what it called "groups affiliated with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps" of carrying out the attacks.

The decision likely means the Bush strike group and its more than 5,000 US forces, which are now in the European Command operational area, will not be returning to their home port in the United States on schedule, the report noted.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) Spokesperson Colonel Joe Buccino also confirmed the carrier group's extension, which was first reported by Reuters.

"The extension of the George HW Bush Carrier Strike Group, inclusive of the USS Leyte Gulf, the USS Delbert D. Black, and the USNS Arctic, allows options to potentially bolster the capabilities of CENTCOM to respond to a range of contingencies in the Middle East," Buccino said in a statement.

He also noted a scheduled, expedited deployment of a squadron of A-10 attack aircraft to the region.

One US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Bush strike group was expected to remain in the European Command area of responsibility.

News of the deployment came a day after the Pentagon doubled its tally of the number of US troops wounded in last week's attacks on US occupation military bases in Syria to 12, following the diagnosis of six US military personnel with traumatic brain injuries.

The attacks also killed an American military contractor and injured another.

It is noteworthy that last week, The New York Times reported that the United States was investigating the reason why its air defense system was not fully operational during a strike on the US base in Syria.

The US military currently has no knowledge as to why the system did not work as it should, and the circumstances are being investigated at present time, the report said, citing two officials.

Read more: US is plundering Syria's wealth, fighting ISIS is just a pretext: Iran

US footprint unchanged in Syria as a result of attacks: WH

On Monday, US National Security Council Special Communications Coordinator, John Kirby, said that the United States has not made any changes to its military footprint in Syria as a result of the recent attacks on US bases in the country.

It is noteworthy that the US has for long employed the alleged "ISIS threat" as a pretext to continue its illegal occupation of northeastern Syrian territories.

US occupation forces frequently loot oil from Syrian gas fields and transport them to other occupation bases in Iraq via illegal crossings.

In early March, the US House of Representatives voted against legislation instructing Biden to end the US occupation of the Syrian Al-Tanf region and remove approximately 900 troops.

Currently, the US army and other foreign forces, participating in the so-called "International Coalition", occupy no less than 28 declared military sites in Syria, distributed over three governorates: Al-Hasakah (17 sites), Deir Ezzor (nine sites), and Homs (two sites).

Read more: Iran FM rebukes allegations of attack on US occupation bases in Syria

  • CENTCOM
  • Syria
  • United States
  • US

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS