Ben Gvir returns to occupation government as 'Israel' massacres Gaza
Ben Gvir and his far-right party's return to the Israeli government was conditioned by three constraints, one of which was the resumption of the genocide in Gaza.
-
Israeli Police Itamar Ben Gvir attends the weekly cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv, occupied Palestine, Sunday, Dec. 31, 2023 (AP)
Former Israeli Police Minister Itamar Ben Gvir and his far-right Otzma Yehudit party will return to the occupation government after a two-month hiatus since leaving the coalition, Israeli media reports revealed.
In a statement, the Otzma Yehudit party and Benjamin Netanyahu's ruling Likud party announced a joint agreement for the return of Ben Gvir's faction and its ministers to their positions in government.
Ben Gvir's party had withdrawn from Netanyahu's coalition in January, following his threat to leave if the government agreed to a ceasefire deal with Gaza.
However, earlier today, the far-right extremist welcomed the resumption of military operations in the Gaza Strip, emphasizing that "Israel, led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to intense fighting," and claimed that "This is the right, moral, ethical and most justified step, to destroy the Hamas terrorist organization and bring back our hostages."
Netanyahu has been pushing for Ben Gvir's return to government as pressure mounted in the face of a narrow majority voting on the Israeli budget.
In this context, Ben Gvir constrained his return to three conditions: Resuming intense fighting in Gaza, implementing Trump's forced displacement scheme, and completely halting humanitarian aid.
According to Israeli Srugim News, Ben Gvir sought a response to one of these conditions. With the Israeli occupation forces resuming the war on Gaza, communications between him and the coalition have increased to ensure his return to the government.
Meanwhile, the head of the Democratic Bloc, Reserve Major General Yair Golan, responded to Ben Gvir's return, saying "Ben Gvir is Netanyahu's prime minister, the man who humiliated Netanyahu when he dragged him, sick, to vote in the Knesset and forced him to bring him back into the government as a hero."
Israeli security agencies 'unanimously' supported Gaza aggression
Earlier on Tuesday, Netanyahu stated that he had directed the military to take "strong action" against Hamas in Gaza, citing the Palestinian group's refusal to release captives and its rejection of ceasefire proposals.
"Israel will, from now on, act against Hamas with increasing military strength," his office said.
The final approval to resume the Israeli war on Gaza was granted "unanimously" during security consultations revealed by Channel Kan 11, "Israel's" public broadcaster reported on Tuesday.
The consultations were attended by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Security Minister Israel Katz, Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir, Shin Bet Director Ronen Bar, Military Intelligence Director Shlomi Binder, and other senior officials, according to the broadcaster.
"All participants in the meeting fully supported the decision to launch an attack on Hamas after negotiations over the release of captives, mediated by Qatar, reached a deadlock," the report noted.
US President Donald Trump greenlit "Israel's" renewed war on Gaza after Hamas refused to release more captives, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing an Israeli official.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a Fox News interview that "Israel" consulted with the administration of President Donald Trump before launching a series of large-scale airstrikes on Gaza early Tuesday.
Read more: Over 322 killed, missing in five hours as 'Israel' resumes war on Gaza