Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Biden to address Netanyahu over Philadelphi Axis demands: Axios

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Axios
  • 21 Aug 2024 21:36
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Axios claimed Biden will address Netanyahu's insistence that the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) remain deployed along the Philadelphi corridor.

Listen
  • x
  • AP
    A Palestinian flag is seen with the background of a section of the wall in the Philadelphi corridor between Egypt and Gaza, on the background, near the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah, Sunday, July 1, 2007 (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra, File)

US President Joe Biden is expected to speak with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday, allegedly urging him to show more flexibility in negotiations to reach a deal in Gaza, Axios reports. 

According to a source familiar with the call, Biden will address Netanyahu's insistence that the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) remain deployed along the Philadelphi corridor, a strategic area on the Egypt-Gaza border.

Netanyahu's new demand has emerged as a significant obstacle in the ongoing negotiations. Israeli, Egyptian, and US officials, who met in Cairo earlier this week, discussed the corridor, with "Israel" presenting a map showing a reduction in forces but still maintaining a presence along the border. The Egyptian side rejected the plan, and US officials communicated to "Israel" that the proposal was unacceptable.

Netanyahu has reportedly told Secretary of State Antony Blinken that he insists on IOF control of the entire corridor, suggesting to the families of captives that he might have convinced Blinken to agree.

However, State Department officials refuted this, noting that Blinken was not persuaded and that the US does not support Netanyahu's position.

Read more: Netanyahu chooses control of Philadelphi Axis over Israeli captives

A US official told AFP on Tuesday that Netanyahu's "maximalist statements" are counterproductive to achieving a ceasefire and risk derailing the negotiations. Blinken, speaking in Doha, reiterated that the US opposes any long-term Israeli occupation of the Gaza Strip.

Behind the scenes, Israeli Security Minister Yoav Gallant and other security leaders have expressed concerns about Netanyahu's stance. They believe that delaying a deal over the Philadelphi corridor could endanger the captives and increase the risk of a broader regional conflict.

Gallant visited IOF forces at the corridor on Wednesday, claiming the defeat of Hamas' Rafah Brigade in the area and stressing that the destruction of tunnels remains a priority. 

"We got to the point where we destroyed 150 tunnels. And there is another small number that we will destroy. I gave immediate instructions," he said.

"The most important thing is that we remember that one of the goals of the war is the release of the hostages," Gallant said.

Read more: Netanyahu deliberately trying to sabotage captive deal, Lapid says

  • Biden administration
  • ceasefire talks
  • Philadelphi Axis
  • Israel
  • ceasefire
  • Benjamin Netanyahu
  • Ceasefire in Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS