Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Hamas says approaching new round of Gaza ceasefire talks positively

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Al Mayadeen
  • 12 Mar 2025 13:37
4 Min Read

The Palestinian group says "Israel" has reneged on the ceasefire agreement, contradicting international will and the efforts of mediators working to solidify the deal and end the war.

Listen
  • x
  • Hamas
    Red Cross cars arrive at the site for the handover of Israeli captives by Hamas in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, on Saturday, February 22, 2025. (AP)

A new round of ceasefire negotiations has begun, Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem announced on Wednesday, emphasizing that the Palestinian group is approaching these talks with full responsibility and positivity, including discussions with the US envoy for captive affairs Adam Boehler.

Qassem expressed Hamas' hope that this round of negotiations would yield significant progress toward initiating the second phase of the deal, which could lead to the complete halt of the war on Gaza, the withdrawal of the Israeli occupation forces from the enclave, and the completion of a prisoner exchange deal between "Israel" and the Palestinian Resistance.

The first phase of a ceasefire concerning the release of some Israeli captives ended earlier this month, but the Palestinian Resistance and "Israel" are now in disagreement over when to transition into the second phase, which aims for a complete end to the war on the Gaza Strip.

While "Israel" wants to extend the first phase until mid-April, Hamas has insisted on moving to the second phase, which is aimed at achieving a permanent end to the war.

During this phase, the Resistance released 25 living captives and the bodies of eight others in exchange for approximately 1,800 Palestinian detainees and prisoners held in Israeli occupation prisons.  

Of the 251 individuals taken captive on October 7, 2023, 58 remain in Gaza, including 34 whom the Israeli military has confirmed as dead.

Read more: 'Israel' killed tens of its own captives in war on Gaza: NYT

Last week, US President Donald Trump issued a "last warning" to Hamas, threatening additional destruction in Gaza if all remaining captives were not released.

Meanwhile, another Hamas spokesperson, Abdel Latif al-Qanoua, pointed out that the Israeli occupation has reneged on the ceasefire agreement, contradicting international will and the efforts of mediators working to solidify the deal and end the war.

He further asserted that Hamas has demonstrated flexibility and engaged positively in all negotiation stages, reaffirming its commitment to holding the Israeli occupation accountable to the agreement and achieving the demands of the Palestinian people.

Al-Qanoua also noted that Hamas is awaiting new steps in the Doha negotiations, which aim to implement the second phase of the agreement, resume aid entry, and ensure an end to the war.

On Tuesday, a senior Palestinian Resistance official told Al Mayadeen that the Israeli delegation’s negotiations with Qatari mediators in Doha have not resulted in any progress.

The senior official held the Israeli side responsible for the deadlock, citing the delegation’s insistence on avoiding discussions about the second phase of negotiations.

According to the source, the Israeli delegation has demanded the release of a large number of captives in exchange for the release of a limited number of Palestinian prisoners.

Additionally, the delegation has requested an extension of the first phase of the agreement without moving forward with further negotiations.

Exclusive: US interested in direct talks with Hamas

A leader in the Palestinian Resistance divulged to Al Mayadeen on Tuesday that the United States is "interested in direct communication with Hamas, but within specific expectations," as Americans do not want to allow the Palestinian Resistance to benefit from this direct communication with the current administration.

The Palestinian leader pointed out that the American envoys confirmed the ability of US President Donald Trump to "force Israel to stop the war and reach an agreement with Hamas." They believe that Hamas' release of the Israeli-American captive could change Trump's convictions.

Read more: We dealt flexibly with Trump's envoy, awaiting outcome of talks: Hamas

  • Gaza Strip
  • Palestine
  • Israel
  • Hamas
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS