Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

ICC must be allowed to work ‘without intimidation’, say 93 members

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 16 Jun 2024 14:17
  • 4 Shares
3 Min Read

A diplomatic source familiar with the effort says the revelations about Israeli intelligence actions against the court had been "really eye-opening for a lot of diplomats."

Listen
  • x
  • ICC
    Exterior view of the headquarters of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands, Jan. 12, 2016 (AP)

The International Criminal Court (ICC) must be allowed to conduct its work "without intimidation", stressed a joint statement issued late Friday by 93 states aimed at reinforcing support for the judicial body, The Guardian reported.

The large group of ICC member states pledged to defend the institution and "preserve its integrity from any political interference and pressure against the court, its officials and those cooperating with it."

The move comes after revelations by The Guardian exposed efforts by "Israel" and its spy agencies to undermine, influence, and intimidate the ICC as part of a nine-year campaign of surveillance and espionage.

The statement also comes following recent warnings from the ICC’s chief prosecutor, Karim Khan, who confirmed that the court has faced "several forms of threats" and hostile intelligence activities intended to interfere with and improperly influence his work.

Khan said last month that he was seeking arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Security Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity, as well as Hamas leaders Yahya Sinwar, Ismail Haniyeh, and Mohammad Deif, prompting fierce responses from "Israel" and its allies.

The statement of support for the ICC was drafted by five member states – Belgium, Chile, Jordan, Senegal, and Slovenia – and was presented to the rest of the court’s state parties last week for endorsement.

The Guardian cited a diplomatic source familiar with the effort as saying that the revelations about Israeli intelligence actions against the court had been "really eye-opening for a lot of diplomats" and "made some realise that it’s time to put out some sort of statement from the states that belong to the court responding to what has now come to light."

The source noted that the statement was also a reaction to other recent hostile activities against the ICC, including a cyber-attack last year.

"The court is going after some very powerful people, not just in the Palestine investigation, and it’s time to send a message that the state parties are there to defend it," the source was quoted as saying.

Observers noted the significance of major Western powers such as Germany, France, Canada, and the UK supporting the statement, which called on "all states to ensure full cooperation with the court for it to carry out its important mandate."

They also highlighted the large number of endorsing states – 93 out of the ICC's 124 members – and pointed out that previous statements in support of the court had not gained as much backing. Other signatories included Australia, South Africa, Spain, Brazil, and Japan.

"This is a unique moment of international solidarity, with 93 ICC states parties standing up for global justice and accountability for mass atrocities," indicated Danya Chaikel, the International Federation for Human Rights’s representative to the ICC.

Read more: ICC should investigate 'Israel' over Nuseirat massacre: Ex-HRW chief

  • Gaza Strip
  • war on Gaza
  • Palestine
  • International Criminal Court
  • ICC
  • Israel
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS