Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

ICC should investigate 'Israel' over Nuseirat massacre: Ex-HRW chief

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: The Guardian
  • 14 Jun 2024 07:04
  • 4 Shares
3 Min Read

The former head of Human Rights Watch says that the Israeli occupation breached the standards of international humanitarian rights during its operation in Nuseirat where it killed over 200 Palestinians.

Listen
  • x
  • ICC should investigate 'Israel' over Nuseirat massacre: Ex-HRW chief
    A Palestinian man walks amid rubble following the Israeli Nuseirat massacre which resulted in the killing of over 200 Palestinians, in the central Gaza Strip, on June 8, 2024. (AFP)

Former Executive Director of Human Rights Watch Kenneth Roth emphasized that the International Criminal Court (ICC) should investigate the Israeli massacre in Nuseirat, which resulted in the killing of over 200 Palestinians, during the operation to retrieve four captives, earlier this month.

In an op-ed published by The Guardian, Roth said that the Israeli attack breached the International humanitarian law, which "prohibits" a military from launching an attack if the expected civilian toll "would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated."

Read more: Everyone in my family was either killed or injured: Nuseirat massacre

Explaining his point, he noted that the occupation has retrieved in total seven Israeli captives via military operations in Gaza since the war began, yet was able to retrieve over 100 in the temporary ceasefire agreement with the Resistance last November. 

The former top HRW official said, also according to International humanitarian law, that a key precaution is to carry out military operations when fewer civilians are present. However, the occupation launched its attack at an hour when Palestinian civilians "were out and about in the middle of the day, particularly in the nearby market," which "greatly increased the death toll."

Read more: US admits 'Israel' killed civilians in Nuseirat, only voices 'concern'

The New York Times reported that, during the attack, the Israeli air force launched strikes against "dozens of nearby targets" to provide cover and time to the team retrieving the captives.

Responding to this statement, Roth questioned the nature of the "dozens" of targets the war jets bombed and the accuracy of the strikes.

"What were the 'dozens of nearby targets' that the Israel air force attacked? Was it able to strike Hamas fighters with any precision in the chaos of that moment? Or did it simply drop bombs in the vicinity, hoping to clear a path for the rescuers to flee despite the area being filled with civilians?"

Read more: 'Israel' killed some captives during Nuseirat operation: Abu Obeida

In light of the questions he posed, the former human rights watch chief said that an independent investigation is required, affirming that the indiscriminate attacks are a war crime.

According to Israeli media, some members of the force that participated in the operation entered Nuseirat in a truck carrying furniture "driven by a female soldier in civilian clothes."

Roth said that this "may constitute the war crime of perfidy," which forbids soldiers from "dressing as civilians during military operations when it leads to death or injury."

Read more: UN official slams Western double standards over Nuseirat massacre

  • Palestine
  • Al-Aqsa Flood
  • ICC
  • Nuseirat camp
  • Israel
  • Kenneth Roth
  • Human Rights Watch
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS