Iran links IAEA cooperation to parliament, SNSC approval: AEOI chief
Iran’s nuclear chief says damage from US-Israeli strikes is under review, stressing that the country’s nuclear program will continue despite attacks and pressure.
-
International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi, left, and Iran's Atomic Energy Organization head Mohammad Eslami listen during their press conference in Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 14, 2024 (AP)
The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Mohammad Eslami, told Mehr News Agency that the country’s engagement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will proceed only under terms approved by its Parliament and Supreme National Security Council (SNSC).
He added that “Iran’s cooperation with the IAEA depends on an agreement based on a parliamentary law and a decision of the Supreme National Security Council.”
Eslami revealed that assessments are underway to determine the extent of damage inflicted on Iranian nuclear facilities during what he described as a “12-day Israeli-US imposed war against Iran.”
The top Iranian diplomat noted that the review process is time-consuming due to the sensitive nature of the affected sites but reaffirmed that “Iran's nuclear program is a requirement for the country's scientific development and will continue.”
IAEA's return does not signal full resumption of cooperation: Iran
The return of inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) does not mark a full renewal of cooperation, which was suspended following the Israeli war in June, Iran said in a statement on Wednesday.
IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi confirmed that a team of inspectors had arrived at the Bushehr nuclear site, marking the first visit since Iran halted cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog last month.
“They are there now… Today they are inspecting Bushehr,” Grossi said.