Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Kiev threatens ZNPP staff with 'prison, reprisals': Official

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 29 Oct 2022 16:46
  • 2 Shares
3 Min Read

A member of the main council of the Zaporozhye administration reveals that Kiev started threatening the ZNPP's employees with "prison and reprisals."

  • x
  • The Zaporozhye nuclear power plant outside Enerhodar in the Zaparozhye region (Reuters)
    The Zaporozhye nuclear power plant outside Enerhodar in the Zaparozhye region (Reuters)

The employees of the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) have received threats from Kiev that they would be exposed to repressions if the Ukrainian troops take hold of the facility, Vladimir Rogov, a member of the main council of the Zaporozhye administration, told Sputnik on Saturday.

"The Kiev regime is continuing to prove its barbaric and criminal nature. Attempting to paralyze the operation of the ZNPP, it began to threaten the NPP's employees with prison and reprisals," Rogov said.

So far, Rogov added, 70% of the Zaporozhye region was liberated from the Ukrainian troops, which still take hold of the regional center and the city of Zaporozhye.

He also revealed that a group of combatants from the Chechen Republic, who were fighting on the Ukrainian side, has been eliminated.

The ZNPP, located on the left bank of the Dnieper River, is the largest nuclear power plant in Europe in terms of the number of units and output.

The ZNPP has been under Russian control since early March and had operated without interruption. However, since July, drone attacks and shelling by Ukrainian forces regularly targeted the facility, leading Russia to request assistance from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to address security issues.

Ukraine admitted to shelling the vicinity of the ZNNP last August. "Targeted strikes by our troops in the localities of Energodar and Kherson have destroyed three artillery systems of the enemy as well as an ammunition depot," the Ukrainian army said.

On September 1, the UN agency sent a 14-person team to the site, including the head of the IAEA Rafael Grossi, to assess the situation at the plant. At least two members of the team were to remain there on a permanent basis to ensure the facility's safety.

Following the visit, the IAEA confirmed that the facility was indeed targeted and recommended that "the shelling on the site and in its vicinity should be stopped immediately to avoid any further damages to the plant and associated facilities."

Grossi, upon discussions with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Zelensky, stated that he believes that an agreement regarding a secure and safe zone surrounding the ZNPP "is possible" to be reached by the end of the year.

The IAEA called on September 6 for the establishment of a security zone around the ZNPP following an offensive by Kiev.

  • Ukraine
  • ZNPP
  • Kiev
  • Russia
  • Ukraine crisis
  • Zaporozhye

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS