IAEA calls for security zone at Zaporozhye NPP
The latest report issued by the IAEA, in light of the recent attacks launched by Kiev's forces on the Zaporozhye NPP, calls for the immediate establishment of a protective zone at its premises and vicinities.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) called on Tuesday for the establishment of a security zone around the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (ZNPP) following Ukraine's latest offense.
The attacks took place today after Kiev's forces opened fire from artillery on the Russian-controlled city of Energodar.
As a result of the shelling, a power line in the vicinity of the ZNPP was damaged, which led to a temporary power outage as well as instability in the water supply.
Authorities reported in a statement that a total of seven shells had hit the area of a training building on the NPP premises, one of which had caused a leak of fuel oil from a tank at a water delivery line at the ZNPP.
In light of these events, the IAEA said on Tuesday that it would issue a report about the findings of the agency's mission to the ZNPP.
The report was published today and included a call by the IAEA to establish a security zone in order to prevent the casualty of a nuclear disaster.
🚨 New IAEA report on the nuclear safety, security and safeguards situation in #Ukraine.— IAEA - International Atomic Energy Agency (@iaeaorg) September 6, 2022
Includes findings from our ongoing Support and Assistance Mission to #Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant.
📑 https://t.co/Qy45ajMcxE pic.twitter.com/BnrxBscYSS
"There is an urgent need for interim measures to prevent a nuclear accident arising from physical damage caused by military means," the IAEA said in the report.
"This can be achieved by the immediate establishment of a nuclear safety and security protection zone," it added.
"The IAEA recommends that shelling on site and in its vicinity should be stopped immediately to avoid any further damages to the plant and associated facilities."
Read more: Russia MoD: Ukraine troops, mercenaries fail in taking control of ZNPP
Energodar and the Zaporozhye plant have been under Russian control since early March and had operated without interruption.
But until July, drone attacks by Ukrainian forces have regularly targeted the facility, leading Russia to request assistance from the IAEA to address security issues.
On September 1, the UN agency sent a 14-person team to the site, including Rafael Grossi, to assess the situation at the plant. At least two members of the team were to remain there on a permanent basis to ensure the facility's safety.
The IAEA said Saturday the plant had been disconnected from its last remaining main power line to the grid and was relying on a reserve line.
Read More: Kiev using toxic agents against Russian military in Zaporozhye: Moscow