Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Over 330 killed, 3,200 injured in Sudan: WHO

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 20 Apr 2023 17:39
3 Min Read

Ghebreyesus says that unsafe access and the lack of water and electricity are making it difficult for humanitarian services to reach those in need.

  • x
  • Smoke rises from burning aircraft inside Khartoum Airport during clashes between the paramilitary RSF and the army in Khartoum, Sudan, April 17, 2023 (Reuters)
    Smoke rising from a burning aircraft inside Khartoum Airport in Khartoum, Sudan, April 17, 2023 (Reuters)

Head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, confirmed on Thursday that the death toll in Sudan has risen to more than 330 people and approximately 3,200 others have been injured in the violent clashes between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). 

On Twitter, the WHO chief said: "The situation in Sudan is increasingly concerning and heartbreaking. Over 330 people have died so far, and nearly 3,200 are injured. I condemn all loss of life, especially attacks on civilians and health care." 

My statement on the increaseingly concerning and heart breaking situation in #Sudan. pic.twitter.com/RY4mjRF0f4

— Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (@DrTedros) April 20, 2023

On Tuesday, Ghebreyesus tweeted that the "WHO condemns attacks on health care in #Sudan, which deprive communities of essential & urgently needed care to save lives. We urge all parties to [...] ensure unrestricted & safe access to health facilities for the injured & everyone in need of medical care."

Clashes have been ongoing between Army forces led by Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and the Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo-led RSF, in what can be described as a surprising turn of events that led to armed conflict between the previous allies.

The Sudanese army accused the RSF of attacking many of its bases in Khartoum and other areas, shortly after the RSF accused the army of attacking its bases. With that said, the director of Khartoum's Center for Strategic and Political Studies, Hassan Shayeb Denqos, told Al Mayadeen that "there is a state of panic among citizens, after heavy gunfire, clashes on the streets of the capital."

A US-brokered truce went into effect on Tuesday at 6 pm but collapsed just hours later as clashes renewed between the warring rivals across Sudan who accused each other of violating the agreement.

Sudanese Rapid Support Forces announced their approval of a 24-hour ceasefire starting Wednesday at 6 pm local time and hoped that the Sudanese Armed Forces will abide by it as the country entered its sixth day of internal war.

Read next: Hijacked tweets and the clashes in Sudan

The military group added in a statement that they will be "fully committed to a complete ceasefire."

Commander of the paramilitary RSF, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, accused his opponent of leading a "radical Islamist gang" seeking to establish a military dictatorship while accusing the country's armed forces of targeting hospitals and non-military targets.

"We’re ready for him to hit us, but not the civilians," Dagalo, better known as Hemedti, told the Financial Times from Khartoum. "We ask God that we gain control and arrest him to hand him over to justice."

Asked if his forces would prevail, Hemedti replied: "We have the readiness, and now we’re on the battlefield. The battlefield will define everything."

Read more: 320 Sudanese soldiers flee to Chad, arrive 'disarmed and detained'

  • Abdel Fattah al-Burhan
  • Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
  • RSF
  • Mohamed Hamdan Daglo
  • Sudan
  • Hemedti
  • Rapid Support Forces

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS