Russia launches large-scale op. targeting Ukrainian infrastructure
Ukrainian agencies and mayors report explosions across multiple Ukrainian cities at 3:00 am.
Russia launched a large-scale raid on Thursday morning, targeting the Black Sea port of Odessa, Kharkov, Kiev, and the Dnipro region, causing power cuts in several areas, according to Reuters.
Maksym Marchenko, governor of the Odessa region, wrote on Telegram that a mass missile attack targeted a power plant in the city, which resulted in power cuts, however, no casualties have been reported yet.
“As a result of a mass missile strike, an energy infrastructure site was hit in the region as well as residences,” Marchenko said on Telegram, as reported by The Guardian, adding that “Fortunately, there are no casualties. Electricity restrictions are in effect.”
Similarly, the governor of the Kharkov region, Oleh Synehubov claimed that approximately 15 strikes hit the region's infrastructure while other strikes were allegedly reported in Dnipro.
“The enemy made about 15 strikes on the city and region,” Synehubov wrote on Telegram, adding “Infrastructure was again among the targets. Information on casualties is being clarified.”
Read more: Zelensky fires Ukraine's commander of joint forces
The Kyiv Independent reported, at 4:12 am local time, that explosions were heard across Kiev, Poltava, Lvov, Vinnitsa, Ivano-Frankovsk, Ternopol, Kharkov, Odessa, and Kirovograd.
⚡️Explosions reported in several cities, Kyiv, Poltava, Lviv, Vinnytsia, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ternopil oblasts amid Russia's mass attack.— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) March 9, 2023
Kharkiv Oblast Governor Oleh Syniehubov said at 3:45 a.m. that Russian forces attacked the region. He urged residents to remain in shelters.
At 5:56 am, the newspaper reported explosions in Kiev.
⚡️Explosions heard in Kyiv.— The Kyiv Independent (@KyivIndependent) March 9, 2023
A loud explosion was heard in Kyiv, as reported by a Kyiv Independent journalist.
Earlier, the Kyiv Oblast military administration reported that the oblast's air defenses had been operating.
The UK ambassador in Ukraine, Melinda Simmons, also took to Twitter saying “This is nowhere near over.”
Friends and colleagues in #Kyiv woke up this morning to explosions and shaking windows. This is nowhere near over, and 🇺🇦 continues to have no choice but to push 🇷🇺back to its borders.— Dame Melinda Simmons (@MelSimmonsFCDO) March 9, 2023
According to Twitter journalist Donbass Girl, the explosions in Kiev have been confirmed.
The explosion in the Svyatoshinsky district of Kiev was confirmed by Vitali Klitschko— Donbass Devushka (@PeImeniPusha) March 9, 2023
Through Twitter, Mayor Vitalii Klychko claimed, “Another explosion in the capital. Svyatoshyn district. All services go to the place. Cars are burning in the yard of one of the residential buildings. The air alert continues. Stay in shelters! Two victims in Sviatoshyn district. Medics provide assistance on the spot.”
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zeleksnky's spokesperson, Iuliia Mendel, confirmed that the "two victims" mentioned in the mayor's tweet were "wounded".
⚡️There are two wounded as a result of the explosion in Svyatoshinsky district of Kyiv after russian attack - mayor @Vitaliy_Klychko #StandWithUkraine— Iuliia Mendel (@IuliiaMendel) March 9, 2023
CEO of Ukrainian power company Yasno, Serhii Kovalenko, explained, at 7:20 am that "Emergency blackouts are used due to the enemy attack. This is a preventive step, as you all remember.”
It is also worth noting that the mayor of Zhitomir also reported explosions and currently, about 15% of Ukrainians are without electricity, according to The Guardian.
Read more: McCarthy declines Zelensky's invite to Ukraine, says 'No blank checks'