Sudan clashes recommence after one-day truce expires
The country's capital Khartoum is witnessing intense artillery fire since the early hours of the morning.
Fighting erupted in Sudan between the warring parties shortly after the 24-hour ceasefire ended on Sunday, while clashes in the country's capital Khartoum saw intense artillery fire exchange.
After the one-day truce expired at 6 am, fighting also recommenced north of Omdurman and Bahri, witnesses said according to media outlets.
The interim cease-fire was mediated by Saudi Arabia and the United States.
Fighting between Sudan's rival generals, commander of the Sudanese Army Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and head of the Rapid Support Forces RSF Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti), displaced over one million people within the country since it began on April 15, as per the International Organization for Migration.
Capital clashes caused extensive destruction and theft, decreasing food supplies, and a collapse in the health, electricity, and water infrastructure.
The conflict has so far killed thousands of people and displaced over 1.9 million individuals within Sudan and also in neighboring countries.
Witnesses reported that El Geneina, near the border with Chad, is facing severe deteriorating conditions as the city suffers from cellular network blackout for several weeks now, in addition to attacks carried out by nomadic tribes affiliated with RSF.
Read more: Sudan: A borderless conflict
The Egyptian government has tightened entry measures by increasing requirements for entry visas for men between 16-50 years old, as almost 200,000 people who fled Sudan headed toward Egypt.
This is happening as humanitarian agencies have constantly warned of the rainy season set to start this month, when the already dire conditions "will worsen and rivers will flood, complicating movement and supplies," said MSF's emergency coordinator Christophe Garnier.