Sudan: A new ceasefire, Washington rules out a solution to the crisis
The armed forces in Sudan agree to extend the ceasefire, which was proposed for an additional 72 hours, hoping it will not be violated again.
Sudan's armed forces agreed to extend the ceasefire, which was proposed for an additional 72 hours, to take effect from the expiry date of the current truce.
In a statement, the General Command of the Armed Forces said that the Saudi and American sides contributed to calming the situation, and the ceasefire was extended to create appropriate conditions to evacuate residents of various nationalities.
The statement added that the armed forces hope that the forces will abide by the ceasefire and avoid violating it "by bombing the military institutions and sites of our forces, sabotaging vital facilities, and endangering the lives and property of citizens."
On the last day of the fourth ceasefire, clashes erupted at several points in Khartoum and plumes of smoke rose in the vicinity of the presidential palace in Khartoum, coinciding with the overflight of warplanes.
The Rapid Support Forces said that the army targeted its camp in the Kafouri area in Khartoum, using air strikes and artillery. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti)'s forces also brought in additional forces from the western and southwestern regions, in preparation for upcoming confrontations.
White House rules out solutions to the conflict
For its part, the White House ruled out any improvement in the situation and urged US citizens to leave the country within 48 hours.
In a statement, the White House called on the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to fully comply with the ceasefire agreement and extend it.
The Pentagon said on Thursday that only a few Americans seek to leave Sudan at this time.
UN: 60% of health facilities in Khartoum are closed
Deputy spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, Farhan Haq, revealed that 60% of health institutions in Khartoum are closed due to the ongoing clashes between the Sudanese army and the RSF.
The UN spokesman added that the closure of hospitals has disrupted the treatment of nearly 50,000 children suffering from acute malnutrition.
Meanwhile, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan said that the fighting did not allow them to conduct a comprehensive assessment of the new humanitarian needs, adding that the forces are not committing to the ceasefire.
Britain moves its ambassador to Addis Ababa
Concurrently, the British Foreign Office announced on Thursday that it had relocated its ambassador to Sudan, Giles Lever, to the Ethiopian capital to continue his work after the embassy in Khartoum was temporarily closed due to the ongoing clashes.
In a statement, the ministry said that Ambassador Lever will lead Britain's diplomatic efforts in the region to end the fighting in Sudan from Addis Ababa.
A spokesman for the British Prime Minister confirmed earlier on Thursday that the British ambassador to Sudan is talking to the two parties in order to discuss extending the ceasefire.
Saudi-German talks on Sudan
The Saudi Foreign Minister, Faisal bin Farhan, discussed on Thursday with his German counterpart, Analina Berbock, the rapid development of events in Sudan.
According to the Saudi Press Agency, SPA, the two ministers stressed the importance of stopping any military escalation, providing the necessary protection for Sudanese civilians and residents, and providing safe humanitarian corridors for those wishing to leave Sudanese territory.
The US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, said that the US is working with the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, to address the crisis in Sudan.
Blinken hopes that a permanent ceasefire agreement will be reached in Sudan, "in order to allow the formation of a civilian-led government."