Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Pope Leo XIV: Peacemakers do not flee, but dare to stay even if it costs them some sacrifice.
The Pope to the Lebanese: You are a diverse country and a community made up of communities united by one language, the language of hope, which has allowed you to start anew.
Pope Leo XIV to the Lebanese: You are a people who do not give up, but a people who persevere in the face of difficulties and know how to be reborn.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options

Turkey conducts airstrikes, destroys 20 PKK objects in northern Iraq

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 1 Oct 2023 23:38
  • 3 Shares
3 Min Read

Yeni Safak cites the Interior Ministry as saying that one of the Ankara attackers had been identified as a PKK member.

  • x
  • Turkish MoD
    Members of Turkish Police Special Forces secure the area near the Interior Ministry following a bomb attack in Ankara, on October 1, 2023 (AFP)

The Turkish Defense Ministry confirmed on Sunday that its forces carried out airstrikes in northern Iraq and destroyed 20 targets belonging to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) following a suicide attack that rocked Ankara earlier.

"Air strikes have been conducted against objects of terrorists in the areas of Metina, Hakurk. Kandil and Gara. As many as 20 objects of terrorists have been destroyed, a large number of terrorists have been killed," the Ministry said in a statement.

The PKK, listed as a "terror group" by Turkey and its Western allies, claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing that injured two police officers.

The Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak also cited the Interior Ministry as saying that one of the attackers had been identified as a PKK member.

"A sacrificial action was carried out against the Turkish Interior Ministry by a team from our Immortal Brigade," the PKK told the ANF news agency, which is close to the party.

Hours after the blast, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said "terrorists" will never achieve their aims.

The powerful explosion outside the Interior Ministry, which was followed by large flames, was heard several kilometers away from the site of the attack.

The targeted district is home to several other ministries and the Turkish parliament, which reopened as planned in the afternoon with an address from Erdogan.

"The villains who threaten the peace and security of citizens have not achieved their objectives and will never achieve them," Erdogan told the parliament.

The Turkish Interior Ministry said two attackers arrived in a commercial vehicle around 9:30 am (0630 GMT) in front of "the entrance gate of the General Directorate of Security of our Ministry of the Interior, and carried out a bomb attack."

"One of the terrorists blew himself up. The other was killed by a bullet to the head before he had a chance to blow himself up," Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya explained in a press statement outside the Ministry.

The #Turkish government announced that a bomb attack was executed by two terrorists in front of the Interior Ministry buildings in #Ankara.#Turkey pic.twitter.com/SjVUIa2f6C

— Al Mayadeen English (@MayadeenEnglish) October 1, 2023

"Two of our police officers were lightly injured" in the exchange of fire, but their lives were not in danger, he added.

The Ankara police headquarters said on social media platform X that it was carrying out "controlled explosions" of "suspicious packages" to prevent other explosions.

The Ankara prosecutor's office said it was opening an investigation and banned access to the area. Local media were asked to stop broadcasting images from the scene of the attack.

It is noteworthy that the Turkish capital has been the scene of several attacks, particularly during the years 2015 and 2016 -- many claimed by the PKK or ISIS.

In October 2015, an attack in front of a central station in Ankara claimed by ISIS resulted in 109 deaths.

The most recent bomb attack in Turkey targeted a shopping street in Istanbul in November 2022, claiming the lives of six people and injuring 81 others. There was no claim of responsibility, but Turkey accused the PKK of being behind the attack and said it had detained 46 people, including a Syrian woman suspected of planting the device.

Read more: Baghdad intends to summon Turkish envoy after Monday's drone attack

  • Turkey
  • Dohuk
  • Iraq
  • Kurdistan Workers' Party
  • PKK
  • Ankara

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS