UK bars 'Israel' from participating in arms expo
In a major diplomatic snub, the UK has banned Israeli officials from a top arms fair as outrage over the Gaza genocide and global calls for accountability intensify.
-
The walkway at DSEI 2023 in ExCel, London (DSEI)
The UK government has barred Israeli officials from attending one of the world’s largest defense exhibitions in London, citing growing criticism of "Israel’s" war on Gaza, Politico reported.
"Israel’s" Ministry of Security has traditionally maintained a strong presence at the Defense and Security Equipment International (DSEI) exhibition, a biennial showcase of military technology and weapons systems. However, a UK government spokesperson confirmed that no official Israeli delegation would be invited this year.
While Israeli arms manufacturers will still be allowed to participate, Whitehall officials acknowledged that their presence is expected to trigger significant protests.
“The Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong,” a UK government spokesperson told Politico. “As a result, we can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025.”
The spokesperson added that London continues to push for a political settlement, “There must be a diplomatic solution to end this war now, with an immediate ceasefire, the return of the hostages and a surge in humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza.”
Growing pressure on Netanyahu
The move underscores Britain’s increasing pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to change course and agree to a ceasefire, the report added. In recent months, London has suspended trade negotiations with "Israel" and pledged to recognize Palestinian statehood should the current war continue.
It remains unclear whether "Israel" will retain a dedicated pavilion at DSEI, which typically hosts a combination of national delegations and private firms.
It is worth noting that DSEI is organized by Clarion Defense and Security Limited, with substantial support from the UK government and armed forces.
Not an isolated incident
The decision follows controversy at the Paris Air Show in June, where Israeli firms were instructed to remove specific weapons from display, a directive they refused to follow.
Sources familiar with the UK government’s decision said Israeli officials had been notified in advance. They added that the ban could be reversed if "Israel" demonstrates a clear commitment to international humanitarian law in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
Meanwhile, Gaza continues to reel under relentless and deadly Israeli airstrikes, a worsening famine, and a suffocating siege. Since October 7, 2023, and as of August 28, 2025, the death toll from the ongoing Israeli genocide has soared to 62,966 Palestinians, with another 159,266 injured. The World Food Programme (WFP) warned on Thursday that Gaza is "at breaking point".