US Official: Forces at Kabul Airport Less Than 4,000
A US official says that the number of US forces at Kabul airport has decreased from 5,800 to less than 4,000, indicates that airstrikes did not hit a prominent ISIS figure.
Today, a US official revealed that the number of US forces at Kabul Airport decreased from 5,800 to less than 4,000.
Reuters quoted the official, who spoke under the condition of anonymity, that he does not believe that the airstrike carried out by a drone yesterday, targeting a planning official in ISIS-Khorasan, hit a prominent terrorist.
He pointed out that it is possible for the US to conduct military operations in Afghanistan in the future.
Yesterday, Friday, the US military announced that it had carried out an operation against the planning official of "ISIS-K" by a drone in Nangarhar province, eastern Afghanistan, on the border with Pakistan.
Earlier today, the US Department of Defense announced the killing of two ISIS important targets of "planners" and "agents," and the wounding of a third target in a strike carried out by a US drone in Afghanistan, without revealing their names.
John Kirby, Pentagon spokesman, refused to clarify whether the targeted people were involved in the attack on Kabul airport last Thursday, which killed more than 100 people, including 13 American soldiers.
ISIS had earlier claimed responsibility for the two bombings that killed dozens, including 13 US soldiers near Kabul airport.
A US official said that a suicide bomber affiliated with ISIS was responsible for the explosion in the vicinity of Kabul Airport.