Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation

US trying to convince shippers to resume sailing via Red Sea: Reports

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 29 Dec 2023 20:01
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

The Pentagon is reportedly in regular communication with the industry to assess needs and affirm international commitment to ensuring secure passage, a pentagon official said.

  • x
  • The American destroyer had been patrolling the area as part of Operation Prosperity Guardian. (AFP)
    The American destroyer had been patrolling the area as part of Operation Prosperity Guardian (AFP)

Bloomberg reported on Friday that the US is implementing measures to provide reassurance to shipping companies regarding the safety of utilizing the Red Sea and Suez Canal for cargo deliveries, despite ongoing attacks by the Yemeni resistance.

According to the report, Air Force Lt. Col. Bryon McGarry, a spokesperson for the Defense Department in the Middle East and Africa, stated that the Pentagon is communicating with the industry almost daily. Their objective is to assess needs and offer assurance that the international community is committed to assisting with secure passage.

"We are not putting a timeline on this operation," McGarry said. "We’ll stand firm with our partners in the region for as long as it takes until the threat to international shipping in these waterways has ceased."

Since the start of the genocide in Gaza, the Yemeni resistance has been actively undertaking the task of blocking the Red Sea route for Israeli-linked vessels. The Ansar Allah movement stated they would not cease their operations unless the war on Gaza came to a complete halt. 

A week ago, US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin declared the establishment of a multinational operation named Operation Prosperity Guardian aimed at safeguarding the Red Sea in response to the escalating attacks by the Yemenis on cargo vessels. He disclosed that the UK, Bahrain, Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, the Seychelles, and Spain would participate in the mission. In response, the Yemeni resistance vowed to target any ships aligning with the US-led maritime coalition.

Read more: US allies hesitant to join anti-Sanaa Red Sea coalition

China, Spain, Djibouti not to partake in naval coalition

Spain announced last Sunday its decision not to partake in a US-led coalition aimed at safeguarding Red Sea shipping for Israeli-linked vessels from operations carried out by the Yemeni armed forces.

Spain's government has recently maintained a stance generally inclined towards Palestine and on Sunday, a spokesperson for the defense ministry informed AFP that Spain "will not participate."

China also appears to be dismissing Secretary of State Antony Blinken's request for Beijing to partake in the coalition after Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin stated on Thursday that "relevant parties, especially major countries with influence, need to play a constructive and responsible role in keeping the shipping lanes safe in the Red Sea."

Djibouti further announced  on Thursday its reservation from partaking in the naval coalition after the country's Foreign Minister Mahmoud Ali Youssouf affirmed that Djibouti does not condemn the attacks from Sanaa in the Red Sea and the Bab el Mandeb, considering them a "legitimate relief for the Palestinians."

He added that Djibouti is reluctant to participate in the alliance despite that the suspension of maritime trade in the Bab el Mandeb could potentially harm Djibouti's economy.

He pointed out that maritime trade is a fundamental part of Djibouti's national income, and if the Bab el Mandeb were to be closed, "the economy would collapse."

"If Palestine does not find relief elsewhere, may God bless the relief provided by the Yemenis," he said.

Read more: Yemeni Armed Forces have 'upper hand' over US in Red Sea

  • war on Gaza
  • Israel
  • US
  • Ansar Allah
  • Yemen
  • Red Sea
  • Operation Prosperity Guardian

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS