Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

WHO voices concern over fate of al-Shifa Hospital chief

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 25 Nov 2023 04:11
3 Min Read

The WHO says it was "extremely concerned" about the safety of the estimated 100 patients and health workers remaining at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza.

  • x
  • WHO
    An image grab from a file handout video released by the Government Media Office in Gaza, shows doctor Mohammad Abu Salmiya, director of Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, giving a press briefing on November 1, 2023 regarding the repercussions of fuel shortages on the hospital. (AFP)

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday voiced concern over the fate of the head of Gaza City's al-Shifa hospital, Mohammad Abu Salmiya, whom Israeli occupation forces arrested.

In a statement, the WHO said that the head of the biggest hospital in the besieged Gaza Strip had been arrested on Wednesday along with five other health workers, while they were taking part in a UN mission to evacuate patients.

"Three medical personnel from the Palestine Red Crescent Society and three from the Ministry of Health were detained," the WHO said.

Since then, two of the six have reportedly been released, but "we do not have information about the well-being of the four remaining health staff, including the director of Al-Shifa hospital," the statement added.

The UN agency called for "their legal and human rights to be fully observed during their detention."

Abu Salmiya has been frequently quoted by international media about the conditions inside al-Shifa, which had been targeted and raided by Israeli occupation forces since the start of their ground invasion of the Gaza Strip.

On Thursday the Israeli occupation military announced it had arrested the hospital chief, along with a department head.

According to the WHO statement, the organization has carried out three missions to al-Shifa in the space of a week, on one occasion managing to evacuate 31 babies from the hospital.

During the third mission, on Wednesday, which was carried out in cooperation with the Palestinian Red Crescent, 151 people were evacuated, including patients, their relatives and healthcare workers, according to the WHO.

It is noteworthy that the WHO had described the al-Shifa Hospital as a "death zone". The assessment followed a visit by WHO and other UN officials to the hospital.

Earlier on Friday, the Health Ministry in Gaza confirmed that Israeli occupation forces withdrew from al-Shifa Hospital on the first day of the temporary truce between the Palestinian Resistance and the Israeli occupation.

But the WHO was "extremely concerned" about the safety of the estimated 100 patients and health workers remaining at al-Shifa, spokesman Christian Lindmeier said.

Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said the Israeli occupation military had withdrawn but the people remaining at al-Shifa were in a battered complex whose "main generator is destroyed along with numerous buildings."

"We're working on further evacuations from hospitals as soon as possible," said Lindmeier, highlighting that the latest evacuation convoy had left al-Shifa with "73 severely ill or injured patients" including some in need of critical care.

Read more: Doctor that left al-Shifa Hosp.: Bodies on the ground everywhere

  • World Health Organization
  • Gaza Strip
  • Palestine
  • Israeli aggression
  • Israel
  • Israeli occupation forces
  • WHO
  • Al-Shifa hospital
  • Israeli occupation
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS