Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

US announces resumption of offensive weapons sales to Saudi Arabia

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 12 Aug 2024 23:55
  • 1 Shares
4 Min Read

Reports indicate that Riyadh is apprehensive about becoming involved in a new war in Yemen.

Listen
  • x
  • US announces resumption of offense weapons to Saudi Arabia
    A man stands under American and Saudi Arabian flags at a square in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in July 2022. (AP)

The United States announced Monday that it will resume offensive weapon supplies to Saudi Arabia, which had been banned some years ago because of human rights concerns in Yemen.

A Congressional aide told Reuters on Friday that US President Joe Biden's administration briefed Congress on the decision this week.

The three-year-old policy soured ties between the two governments and  State Department spokesman Vedant Patel expressed that Saudi Arabia has "met their end of the deal, and we are prepared to meet ours."

"Saudi Arabia has remained a close strategic partner of the United States, and we look forward to enhancing that partnership," State Department spokesman Vedant Patel told reporters.

Supposedly, the US had taken the previous decision to ban offensive exports to facilitate a deal between Riyadh and Sanaa, however, the Yemeni government in Sanaa has accused the US of disrupting a final comprehensive deal. 

It is also worth noting that the Biden administration has launched its own aggression on Yemen, firing more than 135 Tomahawk land attack missiles and launching seven air raids on the country in which at least 420 missiles and bombs were used to strike Yemen. 

Bloomberg reported in late July that Saudi Arabia is taking steps to prevent a potential escalation into direct conflict with the Yemeni Resistance.

The kingdom's concern has grown following an expansion of operations from the Yemeni Resistance, who have recently targeted "Israel" and threatened to attack Saudi Arabia over plans to wage an economic war against them.

Reports indicate that Riyadh is apprehensive about becoming involved in a new conflict in Yemen. Sources close to the Saudi government’s strategy reveal that Saudi officials are urging the Western-recognized Yemeni government in Aden and the central bank to reconsider measures designed to weaken Sanaa.

The Saudis have warned that they might cut economic and military support to the administration they back if these actions continue, potentially leading to a conflict that the Riyadh-backed government could face alone.

  • US announces resumption of offense weapons to Saudi Arabia

Failed, extended aggression on Yemen costs US billions: Politico

The United States naval and aerial campaign in the Red Sea has become the most sustained military campaign by American forces since coalition forces launched attacks on ISIS in Iraq and Syria between 2016-2019, Politico reported. 

US forces have launched nearly 800 missiles and seven aerial onslaughts on Yemen since November 2023, deploying a Carrier Strike Group and naval pieces to protect Israeli interests in the region. 

The newspaper said that the emerging battle in the Red Sea has become the most expansive and enduring US military operation currently underway, which risks "chewing through munition" that the Pentagon would rather have available for a potential war with China in the Pacific. 

Carrier Strike Group 12 extended its stay twice during the nine-month period in the Red Sea, where US forces fired over 135 Tomahawk land attack missiles, which cost between $2 million to $4 million per missile, resulting in a total expenditure ranging from at least $270 million to over $540 million.

US standard missiles used to destroy inexpensive attack drones also cost the US millions of dollars to procure, as Politico reports that 155 standard missiles of various types have been used in the same period. F-18 aircraft deployed on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower fired 60 air-to-air missiles and 420 air-to-surface weapons.

  • Yemeni Armed Forces
  • Red Sea
  • Saudi Arabia
  • United States
  • Yemen
  • war on Yemen
  • Riyadh

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS