Israeli forces stage airborne raid near Damascus after strikes: Report
Israeli forces conducted a rare airborne raid near Damascus after consecutive strikes on Kisweh, where Syrian authorities said they had uncovered espionage devices.
-
Israeli strikes reported near al-Kiswah in the Damascus countryside (social media)
Syrian state media on Thursday reported that Israeli forces carried out an overnight airborne raid near the capital Damascus, following consecutive waves of airstrikes on the area earlier this week.
While "Israel" has not formally acknowledged the operation, Security Minister Israel Katz stated that its forces act "in all combat zones" to safeguard the occupation's security.
If confirmed, the raid would mark the most extensive Israeli ground-linked operation inside Syria since an Islamist coalition seized control of Damascus last December.
Multiple Israeli airstrikes reported in Kisweh, south of Damascus a short time ago. Follows a strike which took place yesterday which killed multiple STG fighters.
— Woofers (@NotWoofers) August 27, 2025
pic.twitter.com/RPf0m1oVCA
According to Syria's foreign ministry, Israeli warplanes targeted a site near the town of Kisweh on Tuesday, killing six soldiers. State television later reported that the same location was bombed again on Wednesday evening.
Residents also described the strikes. Mohammed Damlakhi, 54, told AFP that he was jolted awake by the roar of jets and the sound of blasts, adding that "aircraft were circling around us until around 11 pm" and that "two helicopters landed at the top of the mountain."
Syrian accounts of the target
Quoting a government source, SANA said troops had earlier uncovered "surveillance and eavesdropping devices" in the area, prior to Tuesday's bombardment.
A defense ministry official, speaking anonymously to AFP, identified the location as a former Syrian army base at Tal Maneh, near Kisweh.
Syrian media later reported that the discovery of those espionage devices triggered the subsequent Israeli raids, aimed at blocking Syrian forces from securing or dismantling them.
According to SANA, the strikes continued until late Wednesday, and Syrian units managed to destroy part of the systems before Israeli aircraft resumed bombings.
Airborne incursion
Following the second attack on Wednesday night, Israeli forces deployed into the Kisweh area during an airborne raid that lasted nearly two hours.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent reported that Israeli commandos destroyed equipment at the site before withdrawing.
Syrian outlets also reported heightened Israeli military activity across the south. Several helicopters were seen landing in Sweida Governorate, while reconnaissance flights expanded over the Damascus and Quneitra countrysides.
Israeli media claimed that tanks were simultaneously moving toward the southern approaches of Damascus as commando units landed in two separate locations in the countryside.
Damascus condemns violations
Earlier this week, the Syrian Foreign Ministry condemned a drone attack carried out by Israeli occupation forces on Tuesday, which targeted a Syrian army unit near Kiswah, resulting in the death of six soldiers.
In an official statement, the ministry stressed that the attacks constitute a "serious violation of international law and the UN Charter," as well as a "clear breach of Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity."
Read more: 'Israel' to occupy Mount Hermon, pursue security deal with Syria