Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory

Experts see little change after US asked Israelis to bomb 'surgically'

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: The New York Times
  • 5 Dec 2023 21:43
5 Min Read

The regime says its military officials have been resorting to social media to inform residents of incoming aggressions, but with power outages and limited access to the internet, the evacuation orders have led to confusion among Gazans.

  • x
  • A woman mourns the covered bodies of her child and her husband killed in an Israeli army bombardment of the Gaza Strip, in the hospital in Khan Younis, Tuesday Dec. 5, 2023. (AP Photo/Fatima Shbair)
    A woman mourns the covered bodies of her child and her husband killed in an Israeli army bombardment of the Gaza Strip, in the hospital in Khan Younis, Tuesday Dec. 5, 2023 (AP Photo/Fatima Shbair)

A report by the New York Times on Tuesday detailed that concerns have been raised within the Biden administration over the high death toll in Gaza and that White House officials have reportedly advised the Israeli regime to "work harder" to avoid harming Gazan civilians.

Despite so-called warnings, more than 300 people were massacred in the mere span of two days (Saturday to Monday), resembling the high casualties seen in the initial stages of the war.

The United Nations' humanitarian office noted that the period from Sunday to Monday afternoon witnessed some of the most intense shelling in Gaza so far.

Two experts on the laws of war told NYT they had not observed any notable changes in Israeli tactics in recent days when it came to waging war in Gaza.

“I don’t have the sense that the renewed Israeli operations are significantly different than the earlier operations in terms of seeking to minimize the risk of harm to civilians,” Brian Finucane, a former legal adviser at the State Department and now a senior adviser for the U.S. program at the International Crisis Group, said.

The Israeli regime has been spreading claims its military officials have been resorting to social media to inform residents of incoming aggressions, specifying the sectors that Gazans should leave and indicating the designated safe locations.

While the US sees these changes as potentially limiting civilian casualties, there are concerns about their effectiveness, given challenges such as power outages and limited internet access for Gazans, the NYT report states.

Despite attempts to enhance precision in evacuation guidance, the nature of the Israeli genocide that touches all corners of Gaza makes it difficult to identify reliably safe areas.

The continued use of bombs and heavy artillery in densely populated regions and the destruction of apartment blocks without clear military objectives further endanger civilians.

Reporters were informed on Tuesday by Israeli military spokesman Peter Lerner that he was "not aware of any limitations on the ability to utilize our firepower."

Read more: Biden admin admits to plans for PA to rule Gaza post-war

Take refuge? Where?

International aid groups have raised urgent alarms about the plight of Gaza's civilians, with concerns about the impossibility of providing relief under amplified aggressions.

On Tuesday, Thomas White, the Gaza director of the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, reported that orders were given to evacuate neighborhoods housing approximately 600,000 residents.

He noted that this evacuation could result in an additional half a million people relocating to Rafah, situated along the southern border with Egypt.

This influx would effectively double the number of displaced individuals seeking shelter in the already densely populated city, as conveyed in his post on the social media platform X.

Population in areas who have been ordered to move over 600K - could see half a million people being displaced to Rafah

Rafah that normally has a population of 280K and already hosting around 470K IDP will not cope with a doubling of its IDP population #Gaza @unrwa

— Thomas White (@TomWhiteGaza) December 5, 2023

The UN's aid coordinator for the Palestinian territories Lynn Hastings warned of a potential "hellish scenario" unfolding, especially with the evacuation of neighborhoods potentially doubling the displaced population in cities like Rafah.

Hospitals, already strained, are at risk of being knocked offline, leaving the sick and wounded in a dire situation.

The World Health Organization expressed deep concern about the unfolding humanitarian crisis, noting, "We have seen what happened in northern Gaza,” the agency said. “This cannot be the blueprint for the south."

Irreparable damage

This comes as part of efforts for the US to repair its reputation after sustaining enormous damage over its support for the Israeli-led genocide in Gaza, as well as its fear of regional escalation. 

Several US military bases and warships have been targeted by resistance groups over the past weeks due to US complicity in the Gaza genocide.

Some reports have recently pointed out that  a rift between "Israel" and the US has been widening due to the genocide.

The reality however is that the US is fully supportive of Israeli actions has been mulling ways to further  expedite the genocide before elections are due to be held. 

In fact, Congress has been working on providing a standalone bill that would issue funding worth $106 billion for "Israel."

But certain conditions are standing in the way of its approval as Democrats are requesting more transparency in the disbursement of aid.

Legislators are hoping that the bill will go into effect before year's end. 

While the IOF is continuing its genocidal campaign in Gaza, Israeli reports have pointed out that operations and wars over the years that have not ended with "total victory" have resulted in a decline in confidence in the Israeli government.

According to Lebanese MP Mohammad Raad, the genocide has resulted in a severe loss of international legitimacy for "Israel".

Read more: Raisi: Martyrdom of innocents in Gaza spells end of 'Israel'

  • genocide in Gaza
  • war on Gaza
  • Israeli aggression
  • Genocide
  • white house

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS